12/30/10

12/27/2010

Family and Friends!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How is everyone? Things are going great here for me. I´m going to start off with some pictures. I´m thinking it´s going to take two e-mails to send all of it though. Okay, so first off we have me in Barcelona in front of a thing at Plaça Espanya, then we have me and Hermana Johns (one of the hermanas from my group that goes home this next transfer), then me and Hermana Bustamante (another hermana from my group that goes home this transfer), then me on Christmas morning with the jersey Jen gave me (It´s awesome by the way), then one with all four of us Christmas morning with (left to right) Elder Bennington, Elder Keeler, me, and Elder Hunsaker, then on with me and what we ate for lunch. So yeah. That´s that. Okay, so now the second e-mail with the next batch of pictures. The first two are of the baptism that there was out in Manacor. First off we have one with a lot of people. It´s (left to right) me, Elder Greep (Elder Jacinto and I trained him second), Augusto (Elder Jacinto, Elder Bennington, and I taught him everything before he went out to Manacor), Francisco (I interviewed him), Elder Egan, and Elder Bennington (the first person Elder Jacinto and I trained). The next picture is of me and Augusto, and the next 3 are of my shoes. So yeah. My old shoes were pretty beat up, but I have really nice shoes now. They´re from Damaris, but I feel kind of bad because they probably cost her like 60-70 euros. She´s basically my mom here in Palma. She calls Elder Jacinto and I her hijos. It´ll be sad when I get transferred having to leave her family (Damaris, Dayana, and Dana), we´re really close.

Okay, so I can´t think of what I should really say, because we just talked a couple days ago. It was great getting to talk to all of you, and I´m glad the conference call thing worked out in the end. I meant to tell you guys to say hi to John, but the calling card died before I had time to. I hope it was fun talking to him too. maybe we could work something out so we can all talk at the same time for Mother´s Day, I don´t know though. We´ll see. So yesterday was a pretty good day. The only bad thing about it is that no investigators came to church. I was pretty mad about that. We had everything set up, but most of them "slept in." I guess that´s the problem with having church right after Christmas. Even a lot of the members didn´t come. Mabel came though. She and Robert are doing great. We actually just started teaching one of her friends, so we´ll still be passing by her house a few times a week probably to teach her friend (Anita). Yesterday we also went to visit some less actives that are almost re-activated, and they invited their neighbor, Marinela. I don´t know if you remember the 9-year old girl from Romania named Mihaela that wanted to get baptized but her mom wouldn´t give her permission, well this is her aunt, she´s 23. I had one of the most awkward situations because we´re not supposed to give besos like everyone does here in Spain so I stuck my hand out and she grabbed it but just got closer and closer, but I´m taller so she was just like waiting for me to bend down for the besos and I had to awkwardly explain that as missionaries we don´t give besos, only a hand shake. It would have almost been better to just have done besos and then explained it after, which they say if it´s going to be super awkward to just do that, but I didn´t. She´s a new investigator now though.

We´ve been watching the video "Joy to the World" with a lot of people. They all really like it. I love it too. It makes me remember Christmas and gets me excited for Christmas. It might be after Christmas day, but as far as I´m concerned Christmas goes until sometime in January. Anyways, I want to thank Mom and Dad, Grandma and Grandpa Sommerfeldt, Grandma and Grandpa Brockbank, and Jen for the packages. I loved all of them. Thank you so much. It made my Christmas even more fun.

So for Christmas Eve Damaris invited us over to eat. We got there at 8:00 and ate and exchanged gifts and shared a quick message about Christmas. It was really good. She got all of the missionaries a really nice shirt (and we saw the price tags later and they were 30 euros each), then she got me the new shoes. It´s because my old ones were destroyed. Now I understand why a week or so ago Dayana (her daughter, 18 years old, almost 19, hopefully will get batized in a couple weeks), was putting her foot up next to mine in church and asking what size I wear. I didn´t think anything of it at the time, but now I get it. It was really nice of them though. We´re going there this Wednesday to celebrate Dayana and Elder Hunsaker´s birthdays, and we´re also eating there for New Year´s Eve. It´ll be good.

Well, sorry this e-mail is really rambled and everything, but I need to go. I hope everything goes well with everyone there though and have a Happy New Year!

-Elder Ryan Sommerfeldt

No comments:

Post a Comment