10/19/10

10/18/2010

Family and friends! HOw are you all doing? So this big news of the week here is that Dana got baptized!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It went super well. I want to send a picture home, but the computer doesn´t have a working slot for my SD card... maybe next week. We also just got back from a place called Formentor, you can google it if you want, but it was so beautiful. It´s a little peninsula thing with a lighthouse and the ocean crashes against all the rocks, etc. I took a lot of pictures and video. You´ll be able to see it someday, and hopefully next week I can get some pictures sent out. So yeah. So with Dana´s baptism, it went super good in the end. It was a bit of a hassle though doing everything. It was my week to have the phone too, so I was talking on the phone A LOT this past week. There was another guy named Antonio from the Manacor branch, a branch about an hour away, that also got baptized and they got baptized together. So the Manacor president kept on calling us to see what was going on, see if we had clothes Antonio could use, etc. It was a bit of a hassle. We got the programs all made and everything though and at 5:00 my time they were baptized. It went super, super good. Then on Sunday I confirmed Dana. She was super happy the whole time, and her friend Imma, who´s also super cute, she´s 9, came to the baptism and the confirmation. It was funny, because we had 4 investigators in church this past week, and two of them were primary age... So half of our investigators in church are kids. It´s funny. Well, this past week we had district meeting out in Inca, and right after we did intercambios. Oh, first off, I forgot to tell you about the new missionary Elder Jacinto and I are training.
Okay, so his name is Elder Greep. He´s from Utah, around South Jordan. His plane was supposed to get in at like 9:30, but on our way to the airport we got a call saying his flight was delayed. In the end, it was 11:50 that he got in... So we had a lot of time waiting, and we were really tired the next day. He got in though, so that´s good. It was delayed becuase on Tuesday it was pouring rain here. I´ve never seen so much rain. It felt like I was in a hurricane or something, and we were running around to citas and all, and neither one of us had an umbrella. I lost mine in my last area. maybe I´ll have to buy a new one if it keeps raining. Anyways, Elder Greep´s from Utah and he´s a good missionary. We get along well. Also, it was funny, because Elder Bennington pretended for the entire first day to be from England. He actually did the accent really well, and Elder Greep totally bought all of it.
Anyways, so after the district meeting on Wednesday we did intercambios for a little bit to get some interviews done. Elder Jacinto did this interview, and I´ll do the next one that we have to do. Elder Bowers, from Inca, who was a district leader, has permission to do the interviews that Elder Jacinto and I need, so he came out and interviewed Dana. Anyways, to the interview, Dana´s mom, Damaris, brought two of her friends, Silvia, and Cote, and we started teaching them. Silvia now has a baptismal date for the 13 of November. So that´s really good. Silvia and Cote also came to the baptism and loved it. They helped with cleaning up and such more than anyone else.
Next, there was also a lady we started teaching this past week named Susana. We found her through English Classes. She told us that she wanted to be baptized because she had an experience that let her know that God exists, so she went to the Catholic Church to figure out what she had to do. On the way she saw an English Class advertisement and called us up. Then she was going to start the catholic classes this Tuesday at 6:00, but she set up to visit with us instead. She´s very prepared. So we´ll see what we can do to get her baptized as well. We asked if she´d be baptized after she knows the Book of Mormon is true and she said for sure. She said there´s nothing about the catholic church that´s special, she just had heard of the catholic church more than other churches. So yeah. I´m really excited to help her. So yeah. Things are going really well here. This next Saturday we´re having a Noche de Cine (movie night) that we´re in charge of. We´re going to watch "Joseph Smith: The Prophet of the Restoration." It should be really good. Not many people have seen that here either. Only those that have gone to the temple have seen it. So we announced that in church and gave out a ton of little invitations. Hopefullky everyone brings a bunch of friends.
I also had to speak this past week. With the baptism and all I completely forgot about it until Saturday night. I got something ready fast though and it actually went really well. I just talked about why I decided to serve a mission and some of the miracles I´ve seen on my misison and how we can all see miracles and be missionaries. So yeah. Let´s see, I can´t think of what else I should say. It´s been a good week. We also finished the week with 20 lessons, exactly. So that was good. Elder Greep, Elder Jacinto, and I all get along well. Elder Greep still isn´t good with spanish, but that´s understandable, he´s only been here for like a week now. He´s getting better and better each day though and he really wants to help the people.
Well, things are going great here in Palma. There´s always those bad days, but the good things are a lot more than the hard things. So yeah. I love being a missionary. I´ll write to all of you next week. ¡Chao!
-Elder Ryan Sommerfeldt

No comments:

Post a Comment