1/7/10

1/4/2010

Family! How´s everything doing there? THings are going great here. My new companion is named Elder Nelson, he´s from Phoenix, Arizona, and he´s a Suns fan. Let´s see, he went to BYU for two years before his mission studying first Chemistry, but then switched to Biology and is going to go to dental school to be a dentist. So yeah. He´s also a tennis player and took like second in state or something like that his senior year. So let´s see, this past week Elder Morales left. It was pretty sad. We were really good friends, but I guess that´s what had to happen. I mentioned a little about it in my letter to president last week and he wrote me back this week saying that Elder Morales and I were a model companionship and that perhaps it needed to spread out to other missionaries. SO that´s good I guess. So I´m just doing my best to still work as hard as I did with Elder Morales, especially since I¨m leadering the area a lot now since Elder Nelson is new. I don´t know if I said earlier, but he´s been out for about a year and a half, he has 4-5 transfers left. So lets see, what else. Abraham still has his baptismal fecha for this Saturday and things seem to be going really well with him. We figured out the whole program and all this past week, so I think we shouldn´t have any problems there. Also, this past week we were walking the first day Elder Nelson was here and this lady, Belkis, stopped us with a couple of her family members. Anyways, what ended up happening is that she has a son and the son and his girlfriend and members of the church. I guess the son told her to investigate our church, so she went to where the church used to be, but couldn´t find it. Her cousin had heard from missionaries before and helped her find where the church used to be. Then she was walking with her cousin the day after they went there and her cousin said to her, I think those are the mormons, or something like that, so they stopped us. We´ve taught her two times since then and she´s doing really well and now has a baptismal date for the 23rd of January. So that´s really good. Let´s see, what else is new for me. Oh, on New Years Eve we went to the church where they had a little ward activity, we had permission to stay out until 11:30, so that was fun. We just ate and some of the members danced, but we couldn´t. It was fun. THen we went home and we got ready for bed and at midnight did a famous Spain tradition. You have 12 grapes and you eat a grape on each of the 12 dongs to celebrate the new year. It´s interesting. I think I made a video of it that you guys can see when I mail a CD or DVD home with pictures and such. Then New Years Day the Branch President invited us over for lunch. Afterwards we played a little ping pong because he has a table, and I did terrible. I lost every game I played. I don´t know why, I´m losing my talent though. I´ll have to practice a bunch when I come back, but that´s not too important right now. Let´s see, what else. Things continue going well with Montse and Susana, it was Montse´s birthday this past week and we visited her and brought her a little present and they pulled out some food for us, but we were fasting because it was the weekend of fast sunday. Here everyone starts fasting Saturday after lunch, which we eat at 2 or 3, then fasts until Sunday when they eat lunch again. Because here lunch is the big meal. So yeah. Oh, also this past week I was able to go to the office and they had a scale so I weighed myself, I was only 165 lbs., crazy. Elder Bodily, my companion from the CCM who weighed like five pounds less than me in the CCM now weighs like 15-20 more. Oh well I guess. They say your weight fluctuates a lot on your mission depending on your area and how often you eat with members etc., and here we don´t eat a ton with members, so that would explain why I don´t weigh as much now. Anyways, I also got Jen´s package at the office. It was a way good package, so that was fun. Iris also sent me a package, so mom and dad, if you can thank her, I don´t really want to pay postage, it´s expensive if I mail a whole bunch of things home. Also thank the Larsens, they sent me a Christmas card that was fun. So yeah. That´s the gist of my week. Everything´s going well, we´ll have a baptism this next week, and we continue finding people to teach who are ready. So yeah, it´s good. I can´t think of anything else to say now, so I´m going to go ahead and end this. I hope you all have a fantastic week and a happy new year! ¡Chao!
-Elder Sommerfeldt

No comments:

Post a Comment